KODE IT, SPARKIES!
Kode it, Sparkies! 2019 is a 3-day edu-experiential holiday camp and hackathon for all local and international students from Primary 3 to 6 in Singapore. This programme is jointly organised by Kodecoon and Times Experience, a subsidiary of Times Publishing Limited. We aim to drive technical, design creativity and critical thinking in our young learners in Singapore at the end of the holiday camp.
18-19 March 2019 | Shangri-La Hotel Singapore
23 March 2019 | Shangri-La's Rasa Sentosa Resort & Spa, Singapore
1. CODING HOLIDAY CAMP WORTH $360
Build your own website at our 3-day holiday camp (worth $360). Learn the fundamentals of coding the fun and easy way from our friendly instructors. No prior knowledge required to join!
2. HEAD START IN LIFE
Acquire logical thinking, creativity, teamwork and problem-solving skills in the real world. Pave the way for success in life now.
3. LEARNING ADVENTURE
New skills, new friends, and lots of coding fun! Three awesome days to enrich your March school holidays.
|EARLY BIRD |
15 November 2018 – 4 January 2019
5 January 2019 – 11 February 2019
Registration closes 1 March 2019
*NEW YEAR, NEW INTAKE: MORE SEATS ADDED
Use coupon code KODEIT40 to get 40% OFF normal registration fee + goodie bag worth $220! Coupon code valid till 11 February 2019, and must be entered upon checkout.
Prices are quoted in Singapore Dollars, and are inclusive of 7% GST. International students in Singapore are welcome to join the holiday camp.
AT A GLANCE
|Registration||Opens||November 15, 2018 (Thu)|
|Early Bird ends||January 4, 2019 (Fri)|
|New Intake||January 5, 2019 (Sat)|
|Closes||March 1, 2019 (Fri)|
|Holiday Camp*||Day 1||March 18, 2019 (Mon)
08:30 - 18:00
|Shangri-La Hotel Singapore
22 Orange Grove Rd, Singapore 258350
|Day 2||March 19, 2019 (Tue)
08:30 - 18:00
|March 23, 2019 (Sat)
08:30 - 18:00
|Shangri-La's Rasa Sentosa Resort & Spa, Singapore
101 Siloso Rd, Singapore 098970
*Lunch and light refreshments will be provided. No overnight stay is required.
To adapt in the digital age by embracing technology.
To transform by picking up programming skills and sharpening problem-solving capability.
To create technological breakthrough that is impactful and relevant to the society.
SKILLS TO LAST A LIFETIME
Develop Critical Thinking
Leadership and Confidence
KODE THEIR FUTURE
PANEL OF JUDGES
Head, IT (Times Publishing)
Ken is currently Head, IT with Times Publishing. He is responsible for overseeing the IT, digital and security systems for the company. He has more than 18 years of IT experience working in various industries - including media, publishing and healthcare - successfully transforming traditional businesses to digital space. A self-professed fan of Star Wars, Ken speaks fluent Yoda, and opens automatic doors using "The Force".
Kyong Jin Shim
Practice Asst Professor (SMU)
Kyong Jin is a Practice Assistant Professor in School of Information Systems at SMU. She has over 10 years of experience in Software Development and Data Science. Her recent work focuses on large scale social listening in popular social networking platforms and video games. Kyong Jin actively researches ways to make learning “game-like”, fun and engaging. Prior to joining SMU, she worked at IBM, Thomson Reuters and Ninja Metrics.
Chief Executive (Nullspace Robotics)
Alan is Chief Executive of Nullspace, which specialises in tailoring technology programmes for schools and organisations. He worked as a derivatives trader and investment analyst for 3 years before deciding to leave the finance industry. Alan graduated with High Distinction from SMU in Quantitative Finance in 2013. He is a life long maker, having been in the robotics club from primary school to junior college.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Kode it, Sparkies! 2019 is open to all students from Primary 3 to 6 in Singapore for year 2019.
- Students from international schools in Singapore are welcome to participate based on an equivalent education level as per the reference table below: -
|Ministry of Education, Singapore||Stamford American International School1||Australian International School2||Tanglin Trust School3|
|Primary 3||Grade 3||Year 3||Year 4|
|Primary 4||Grade 4||Year 4||Year 5|
|Primary 5||Grade 5||Year 5||Year 6|
|Primary 6||Grade 6||Year 6||Year 7|
2 Year Listings. (2017, December 20). Retrieved March 20, 2018, from https://www.ais.com.sg/admissions/year-listings
3 Tanglin Trust School. (n.d.). Retrieved March 20, 2018, from https://www.tts.edu.sg/admissions/admissions-faqs/age-appropriate-year-group-table
- Absolutely! No prior knowledge is required to attend the holiday camp.
- Register online at https://www.goguru.com.sg/kode-it-sparkies
- Registration closes on 1 March 2019, 2359hrs.
- The registration form must be completed in full during submission.
- Payment of registration fee must be made in full during registration.
- The parent/guardian must have a Times Connect account to proceed with the above registration steps.
- Yes, your child will get to experience a learning adventure of a lifetime! Plus, there are attractive prizes to be won! No refunds will be provided for unattended classes.
- It is mandatory for each participant to bring a laptop for the holiday camp as the participants will be working on the laptop on both days.
- Participants are encouraged to bring their own laptop and charger to the camp.
- We have introduced the option to loan a laptop at $58.85 (two days) for your child as we understand that some households may not own a laptop.
- No. All learning activities will be conducted on BSD Launchbox, a web-based development platform.
- Yes, as long as your laptop meets the minimum operating system and has at least one of the supported browsers.
- Windows XP, Vista, or 7, Mac OSX 10.6.5
- Google Chrome: latest 2 versions
- Mozilla Firefox: latest 2 versions
- Apple Safari: latest version
- Microsoft Internet Explorer: v11
- Microsoft Edge: latest version
- It is a group competition.
- Our trainers will group and assign specific roles for each participant based on their observations during the camp for the hackathon.